Thursday, May 14, 2009

Peace, through superior geekery

I got back to weight training for the first time since my illness this morning.  I turned up Radiohead's "Hail to the Thief" on my iPod, warmed up on the treadmill, then went through two sets of chest presses, tricep curls, bicep curls, assisted pullups, crunches and lunges.

I'm going to be sore tomorrow, but it feels great now.

Something is amiss out in the vegetable garden.  In the span of two days, three of our potato plants have wilted away to nothing but shriveled ex-plants.  We don't know what's wrong, but we're hoping like crazy that the other's will survive.  We're really looking forward to home grown spuds.

Tomorrow's a big day, when it comes to recreation and rejuvenation.  Yes, I'm going for my morning walk, but...the big event?  My team and I are going to see the new Star Trek movie.  I grew up watching Kirk, McCoy and Spock on our rabbit-eared television with my father.  When the network changed the air time from 8pm to 9pm, I moved the bed in my room so I could see down the hallway and watch it after I'd "gone to bed."  (Sorry, Dad).   I'm a big geeky sci-fi nerdboy, really, and I can't wait.

Food log:

Breakfast: After my workout this morning, I stopped by the cafe at work to see about breakfast.  Recently, the cafe has started featuring "Eat Right for Life" options at lunch.  Nice.  Well, this morning I discovered they'd added similar options for breakfast.  So, I had a small "Waldorf salad" or chopped apples, blueberries, strawberries and pecans, dressed with a little yogurt and topped with about 2T of granola.  Readers who've faithfully slogged through the food log portion of this blog will recognize this as a common breakfast I make for myself at home quite often.  I had no idea it had a name :-)

Lunch: about 3oz salmon with lime zest and salt, about 1c sauteed squash, carrots, onions and mushrooms, about a dozen cherries.

Snack: three small carrots, two squares of dark chocolate (four left!)

Dinner: Pad Thai, to which we added some stir-fried bok choy and carrots.  A glass of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment