Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Forgetfulness, Art, and the Desert

After two weeks away, I went to my early morning Anusara Yoga class.  I'd so missed it.  The class is focused on restoring the mind and body through gentle stretches, held and deepened over the course of many breaths.  It's deeply, deeply relaxing.  Aaaaaaah.

I spent the day attending, virtually, day two of our internal development conference.  I won't bore you with the details, but hearing from so many interesting people, on topics that excite them, excites me.  I'm burning to try some of the things I learned about today.

My excitement about getting to Yoga, and getting to the conference, had a downside.  I missed my appointment with Orthopedics this morning.  This is very, very atypical of me.  I feel terrible about it.  I was so enthused about our conference, and returning to my yoga class after starting to finally feel better, that I just didn't check my calendar last night.  I got everything ready for yoga, including my mindset, and when I woke up this morning I cruised right into the class.  Never thought about my doctor's appointment until I signed into my computer and the reminder popped up...thirty minutes AFTER the appointment.  Time to call the doc's office, apologize profusely and beg forgiveness.  Sigh.

Burning Man is going on out there in the desert somewhere.  I stumbled across it while watching Current TV this morning.  I've never been to the festival.  I'd heard of it, of course, but didn't know much about it really.  But I'm reading, checking out the pictures I can find on flickr, and there's something there.

I believe, at my core, that everyone's opinion deserves respect.  OK, there are exceptions (the dangerously insane, those with hurtful ideologies), but basically, mutual respect is key.  I believe that everyone is beautiful.  I believe what makes people unique makes them special and valuable.  Burning Man seems to be closely aligned with that ethic.  Again, there are apparently exceptions, but the inclusive vibe resonates with me.

Also there's the artistic angle.  Sculptures and experiential art abound.  I grew up as the son of an artist who, during my childhood, specialized in large, interactive sculptures.  Burning Man territory, before there was Burning Man.  My current favorite is Uchronia, a huge sculpture by a Danish team made entirely of 2x3 beams in 2006, that continued to grow and expand over the span of the festival.  It was so big that, inside, a techno dance club ran all night.




Another I like is Perspective.  It's creative, and thought provoking.  What you see (usually?) isn't what you get.



Photos by Tristan Savatier, hosted on flickr. Click on an image to get to his gallery.


Finally, I forgot my blood pressure meds again this morning. It's hard for me to remember to bring my medicine along when I'm heading out the door in a hurry and will be eating breakfast later.  On the upside, I get to find out whether the aches I had last time will come back.  Gee, fun.

Food log:

Breakfast: small bran muffin, pineapple, melon and strawberries from the continental breakfast provided for the conference. Frankly, the fruit was terrible. I'm so spoiled by all the fresh produce we get.

Lunch: half a turkey and havarti sandwich on whole grain bread, an orange, and a small salad with beets, pine nuts, veggies and homemade olive oil mustard vinaigrette.  One square of Belgian dark chocolate.

Dinner: broiled salmon with lime zest and rock salt.  Roasted asparagus with parmesan cheese and more lime zest.  A glass of milk.

Snacks: a bag of Mrs. May's natural Cran-Blueberry Crunch...should have brought a little more for lunch, or a piece of fruit for a snack.  Still, this stuff is pretty good for you.  Also, a small bowl of mint chip ice cream for desert tonight...not so good for you, but one of my favorite flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment