Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Fat : Muscle :: Grapefruit : Baseballs

Some time ago, I was involved in Weight Watchers.  It's a great program, and I'd recommend it, but that's not why I'm writing this.

In one of those meetings, and again today, I stumbled across something interesting.

A pound of muscle is about the size of a baseball.
A pound of fat is about the size of a large grapefruit.

Also of interest is that a pound of muscle is 25x more efficient at burning calories than the pound of fat (which I find a suspect "statistic," as I wasn't aware that fat burned calories at all).  But here's the thing...

I figure I need to lose another 45 pounds or so.  That's FORTY-FIVE flippin' grapefruit I'm carrying around?  When I look in the mirror, OK, I don't like what I see.  My belly is large, merging into a pair of "love handles" seamlessly.  Ugh.  But I just can't imagine what I'd look like if I removed volume equal to forty five grapefruit...it just doesn't seem possible.

But whatever.  I'm looking forward to finding out :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment