Sunday, April 26, 2009

Today:

I woke up fewer times in the night, but the cough and post-nasal drip are still pretty bad.  Hopefully this'll be over soon.  I'm still run down and very tired.  I wish my fuse weren't so short.  It's not fair to the kids. I have to keep reminding myself that, when you're tired and not feeling well, that's the time to intentionally work extra hard on patience.

My wife found that a Mourning Dove has built a nest in our lemon tree.  Looks like she might already be cuddling an egg or two, as she stayed put while my wife poked around the tree to see what pruning it needed.  While she was out there, Daddy dove arrived with some more nesting materials.  We get a lot of birds in our yard, but the Anna's Hummingbirds,  Black Phoebes, Mourning Doves and Scrub Jays are my favorites.  Mocking Birds, with their ever-changing calls, are lovely too...for about an hour.  Then you start to wish they'd go entertain someone else.  It is pretty cool to watch those little spirited birds drive off much larger crows, however.  I've never seen a Mocking Bird lose one of their aerial dogfights.

Spent the afternoon wondering when I'd start feeling better.  My fever came back today.  I'll call the doctor tomorrow.  Meanwhile, I watched a bunch of cake- and cookie-related Food Network Challenges on the TV with my girls.  On the advice of a comment left here, I decided to indulge a bit and made a batch of chocolate chip cookies. Yum!

Today I ate:

For breakfast: half a grapefruit, half a banana, one wheat germ pancake, dressed with butter, strawberry preserves and ground flax seed, 6oz fresh squeezed orange juice.

For lunch: half an egg salad sandwich (using another of our Easter eggs), half an orange.

For dinner: Beef and Bok Choy Hot Pot, and a glass of milk.  I love this dish.  Semi-asian style broth, hunks of stewed meat and a medley of veggies in a bowl.  It makes me hanker for the next box of produce from our CSA, as bok choy is a regular member of the cast this time of year.

For snacks: two (roughly 1" square) fragments of my Sees dark chocolate easter bunny.  Three chocolate chip cookies.  Not a great day for my waistline, but it was so nice to treat the family to some homemade treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment