Friday, April 24, 2009

Today I:

Had (cough) another (cough cough) rough night.  I'm feeling worn out and tired.

Listened to the birds in our yard for a while.  Each Winter, I forget how much I miss them.  A couple of days ago a pair of Black Phoebe chicks perched on one of our windowsills, cheeping away for mama.  We love these little birds, and it makes me feel good to know they're nesting nearby.

Weighed in.  231.8 lbs, which is down a half pound from a few days ago.  I'm going to start tracking this, to make sure I stay in the safe range of about 1-2 pounds per week.

Took a nap.  Aaaaah.  Thanks to my wife to taking our son out of the house all morning.

Started a tracking spreadsheet, so I can chart my weight and blood pressure over time.

Took another nap.  My body is clearly saying "good thing you took today off."

Today I ate:

For breakfast: an apple and a banana, chopped up and dressed with a few tablespoons of French Vanilla yoghurt, and a couple tablespoons of ground flax seed.

For lunch: leftover risotto, with lemon and asparagus.  A small slice of leftover Mountain Mike's pizza (chicken, bacon, pineapple, barbeque sauce...no, really, it's tasty, I swear).

For dinner: a salad of greens, beets, fried chicken pieces, bleu cheese and honey mustard dressing.  One of my favorite salads.  And...there's plenty for leftovers!

For snacks: six Cadbury mini eggs

By the way, I'm including links to the recipes, not to advertise and advocate for them, but so that I can track the nutritional information about what I'm eating.  I'm planning to do this weekly, looking back.  I'll compare what I ate to some good guidelines from Andrew Weil's "Eating Well for Optimum Health," then adjust holistically for the coming week (e.g. a little less red meat, a little more vegetables, etc.).

2 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you, my Brother, for making some difficult, but much needed changes. Metabolic syndrome is a scary diagnosis, with very serious long-term potential outcomes. It is also reversible with the right lifestyle changes. I am happy to see that you are on the path to better health.

    I had my own "wake-up call" of sorts a couple years back. 36 years old, and already on blood pressure mediation. Family history, yes, but I was starting down a dangerous path earlier than most.

    I decided to get serious about my eating and my exercise. Started with the eating, because it seemed "easier", and I wasn't sure I could do it all at once. Mainly, I just started paying atttention to portion size. It is amazing what the serving size is on some of your favorite foods (cereal, for example, is not a bowlful per serving).

    After a couple months, and once the cravings and constant hunger feeling had subsided, I decided to add exercise to my regimen. I started out with a few days a week of cardio (mostly the eliptical trainer at the gym).

    A year later, I am addicted to exercise. I exercise 5-6 days a week. I alternate between running and the eliptical, and have added strength training.

    I think the reason it stuck is because I decide to do it gradually and make it a true lifestyle change. My doctor and I have discussed reducing the dosage of my hypertension medication and possible getting off it altogether.

    Everyone's journey is different. Know that you are supported in yours. I look forward to the updates. One piece of advice I would offer: Do allow yourself the occasional indulgence. It will making sticking to your plan easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the support. It's nice to be among those of similar mind. I appreciate it.

    I'm looking forward to being addicted to exercise. I enjoy it now, but feel like my body is still getting used to it all. I ache far longer than I expected to after a good workout, for instance. I think, when I've been doing it longer with consistency, my body will get used to it all and become addicted to the endorphins.

    A little indulgence, eh? So far, so good. I'm working my way through my Easter candy, a tiny bit each day. And, I love to cook with my wife. So most meals are an indulgence in themselves, no matter what we're eating. Oh, and the onions are almost ready in the garden. The potatoes are looking strong and getting ready for their first post-planting mounding of soil. If home grown vegetables aren't an indulgence, I don't know what is.

    Best of luck with your own journey. Keep me posted, please.

    ReplyDelete