Thursday, July 2, 2009

Letting History Be My Guide

I started this blog in order to record what I was eating, how and how much I was exercising, and what I was learning about food, fitness and myself.

Over the past two or three weeks, the commitment has been fading for some reason.  Maybe it was coming so close to the threshold of 220 pounds.  Maybe I was getting tired of watching everything I eat.  Maybe I was letting this turn into an exercise in discipline and denial, instead of a positive, life-enhancing experience.  Maybe the stress at work has been getting to me.  Whatever the reason, I've been flagging, and my weight loss has stalled.

Last night, I read this blog again from the beginning.  To my friend Cynthia, who suggested this blog as a reminder and inspiration for just this moment, I say thank you.  You were right.  I was going to need this.

So this morning, recommitted, I hit the gym.  I had a long, fast walk on the treadmill, did two sets of upper body weight lifting, crunches for the abs, and lunges for the legs.  I watched what I ate very carefully today.  OK, we had pizza for dinner, but that was balanced out with a load of fruits and vegetables throughout the day.

Tomorrow morning, the new old program continues.  A long walk around the neighborhood is on the agenda.

It's good to be back.

Food log:

Breakfast: fruit with yogurt and granola

Lunch: vegetarian cassoulet with wild rice

Dinner: two slices of pepperoni pizza, watermelon

Snacks: one mini peppermint patty, a granola bar

2 comments:

  1. I know that it is hard to live every day like this "new" person. Sometimes you just don't want to and that must be allowed for. I say just keep it up too for the long hall.

    Have a great 4th of July too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Julia. I sure appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete